Thursday, September 17, 2009

Camera Shy


Though unnoticed today in the midst of so many tourist attractions and rapidly growing communities, Florida’s landscape was once a vast area of grazing lands. When the Spaniard Ponce de León discovered it in 1513, Florida was mostly wide, green spaces. In 1521 when he returned, he brought horses and seven Andalusian cattle, the ancestors of the Texas Longhorns. For almost 500 years, the cattle industry has contributed significantly to Florida’s economy and natural resources. Florida's cattle industry ranks in the top 15 in the US and is still one of the biggest businesses in the state. Florida Cowboys on horses and covered wagons travel across the country bringing herds of cattle to Texas.
Today as I was driving down a farm road I came across this steer. I got out of my car to grab a photo we were face to face, I thought at any moment it was going to charge at me. But as soon as I grabbed my camera it completely turned around as if to say no pictures and by the look it was giving me I wasn’t going to try for a better one.

No comments: