Monday, August 4, 2008

Gladiolus



I love a bargain and I enjoy going to garage/yard sales. I have acquired many unique items in the past. However the other day when I went to Sweetbay grocery shopping I came across this bargain. I just couldn’t pass it up even though it meant I had to buy my own flowers. A bunch of flowers for 99 cents I don’t ever remember paying so little. Gladiolus also known as the Sword Lily signifies remembrance. It also expresses infatuation, telling the receiver that he or she pierces the heart. Some parts of Gladiolus plant are poisonous, if ingested, and handling some species may cause skin irritation or allergic reactions. It’s also the birth flower for August. I have always associated this flower with unpleasant events such as funerals where they are sure to be seen, so it’s never been a favorite of mine. Although I must say the assortment of colors in this bunch did win me over and let’s not forget the fact that they were only 99 cents, I bargain I just couldn’t pass up.

No comments: