Friday, May 30, 2008

Hawaii


Plumeria Plant is considered by some the most perfect plant in the world because of its characteristics. It blooms from April through November the flower is fantastic but doesn’t last long, however the bloom pod continuously keeps blooming for most of the year. The Plumeria smells like no other plant and each color (there are several) has its own unique fragrance, some are sweet others are like jasmine some even smell like peaches. I have several yellow ones and they smell citrusy, my pink has yet to bloom. Leis are made from the flowers of this plant, upon your arrival in Hawaii you are greeted in the traditional Polynesian way—with a warm aloha and lei of fresh flowers. Like the Gardenia I put several of them in a bowl of water too float around and let the pleasant aroma fill the air. What I love most about this plant is that it is a NO maintenance plant that is very drought tolerant and can be grown in sun or shade just seems to adapt to any location. Also makes beautiful potted plants for the patio.
I was surprised to learn that this was not the official flower of Hawaii, but that the yellow Hibiscus is….I have them also…so you can say I have a bit of Hawaii in my yard.

No comments: